Improve Workplace Hygiene With These Four Products
Your workplace’s cleanliness is a reflection of your reputation, authority, and care. Customers lose trust in you and employee productivity suffers when your office is unclean and dirty.
Maintaining good workplace hygiene keeps you and your employees healthy, which in turn boosts productivity, employee satisfaction, and trust. But how can you maintain the cleanliness of an entire establishment? It’s not a surprise that hygiene starts with the use of high-quality products that are key to your cleanliness.
We’ve compiled a list of the best hygiene products you can use to improve workplace hygiene, but before that, let’s see the risks of an unhygienic office.
Infections Spread at the Workplace
Imagine how often your coworkers touch one other or their desks throughout the day. In general, the workplace is one of the most common spaces where people are more likely to contract infection. Here are some common ways in which your employees get sick:
- Germs and bacteria can quickly spread whenever employees touch contaminated and high-touch surfaces, such as door handles, flush buttons, desks, keyboards, faucet handles, microwave or refrigerator door handles, etc.
- Another common reason is not disinfecting and sanitising frequently-touched areas of your workplace. Two to three times a week, the cleaning staff can come in to handle cleaning, but they might not pay close attention to disinfecting the surfaces. Disinfecting and sanitising are essential as they can kill bacteria and prevent infection spread.
- More than 40% of Australians say they don’t usually wash their hands before touching food. So, not washing hands may be another reason why people get sick. When someone coughs or sneezes, bacteria and viruses appear in the air and can be inhaled by another person or appear on nearby surfaces. So, your employees should close their mouth when coughing and sneezing, and then wash their hands so as not to spread any viruses.
Let’s now see what kind of infections your employees may get because of an uncleanly workplace:
- Respiratory diseases
- Stomach flu
- Common cold
- Strep throat
- Pink eye, etc.
Four Products to Improve Workplace Hygiene
When your employee doesn’t feel well, they also lose their productivity and cannot make decisions fast, complete tasks on time, concentrate, organize meetings, and more. This not only impacts their mental health but also causes your company to lack the necessary resources to succeed. When your employees don’t feel well, they also cannot do their work effectively, which in its turn will lead to lower income. Too many employee absences from work can result in project delays and more costs in the long run.
So, keeping you and others healthy is essential at your workplace, and it can’t be done without proper hygiene products:
1. Hand Sanitisers
Hand sanitisers are important products that prevent viruses and the spread of bacteria. Though washing hands is the most crucial step in maintaining hygiene, sometimes soap and water are not accessible, so hand sanitisers come to the rescue.
Install hand sanitiser dispensers in busy areas of your office and here are the places you can put them in your workplace:
- On desks
- In kitchen countertops
- In bathrooms
- Near scanners
- On the entrance and exit
- In break rooms
- In meeting rooms
- On transaction counters
But keep in mind that hand sanitisers will be in vain if your staff won’t use them properly.
Educate your employees to disinfect their hands with these sanitisers at the following times:
- Before eating food
- Before touching someone
- Before preparing coffee or tea
- When soap and water aren’t accessible
- After going to the toilet
- After coughing and sneezing
- Before and after touching or handling a cut or wound
Keep in mind that the best way to prevent germs spread is using soap and water, especially when your hands are dirty. But, once washrooms aren’t at hand’s reach, you can use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser that contains at least 60% of alcohol as these are considered to be the most effective ones.
You can educate your staff by organizing regular hygiene training sessions or putting posters on the office walls.
2. Disinfecting Wipes
Sanitising removes germs from hands, while disinfecting helps to kill 99% of pathogens and bacteria that cause diseases. In busy areas, you should not only use hand sanitisers, but also you should provide disinfecting wipes to your employees.
With wipes, your employees or cleaning crew can disinfect the following areas:
- Door handles
- Furniture arms
- Air conditioner remote control
- Light switches
- Chalkboard marker and eraser
- Mousepad and mouse
- Refrigerator or microwave door handles
- Faucet handles
- Coffee machine handles and buttons
- Printer buttons
Ensure that the wipes you buy don’t contain toxic chemicals, such as bleach, ammonia, etc. to provide a safer environment for you and your employees while disinfecting high-touch surfaces and tools.
3. Hand Dryers
Moist areas are great places for bacteria and germs to grow and flourish. If you want to prevent the further spread of bacteria around the surfaces, you need to install hand dryers in your bathrooms. Encourage your employees to dry their hands thoroughly after washing them as when they rub their hands on clothes and then touch door handles, the surfaces catch the germs, causing further bacteria spread.
4. Air Fresheners
Your employees and customers will be more likely to spend time at the office when it smells good. No one likes being in an area that has a bad odour and makes it difficult to focus. These odours can be removed with the help of an air freshener. Remember that the bad odour heavily affects your employee’s work productivity. So, buy air fresheners or odour controls to make your workplace smell fresh and pleasant.
Purchasing simple and user-friendly products will help keep the workplace healthy and free from infections. You can have happy employees, save money, and improve the productivity of your company by using these 4 hygiene products. Hyex is always here to provide you with high-quality and affordable products that can take your workplace hygiene to the next level. Contact us today!